Friday 25 May 2012

I Am Proudly South African

Picture: Google

So I went about my day as per usual. Crazy alarm clock, Morning Live and my first tweet for the day (tweeting a headline!) up until I was made aware by one of my limited Twitter contacts that today marked a significant day, a day which Africans get to embrace their 'Africaness'. Yes today is 'Africa Day'. I naturally had a moment to myself and questioned 'what it truly means to be an African'.

Thinking of Mother Africa had an intellectual and most importantly spiritually fulfilling ambience. With her rich culture, history and wealth, her grace is endless. I scaled my thoughts down right to her Southern self where I hail from. And boy oh boy! I come from a rather interesting country.


Picture: Goolge


I remember recently (actually two days to be precise!) watching the headlines on E-tv where South African celebrities were involved in a CSI initiative in Soweto. Several public figures were interviewed. Yet the one message that stuck not only in my thoughts but with my very being came from hip-hop artist Proverb who mentioned somethig along these lines: 'No matter what hardships South Africa has gone through and has yet to experience, we always come out much stronger'.

And he was so right! We made it through Apartheid, made it through a 'Democratic newness', made it through the 'Arms Deal', made it through 'The Shower', made it through 'Shoot the Boer', made it through ' The Silencing of voices', made it through 'Racist tweets', still making it through 'The Spear'. And after all is said and done we're still standing together with our differences, with our flaws as we're “Proudly South African”.

No comments:

Post a Comment