Friday 17 February 2012

Size Zero: The reality behind the fantasy

Picture: Google.com

The subject of skinny models and celebrities is pretty much cliché and one that I’m frankly not much interested in, well that was until I had my own ‘size zero’ experience. Watching the Late News slot over the weekend which featured our Health Minister Aaron Motsoaledi addressing the ‘Our country’s obesity rates’ with emphasis on staggering findings by the Heart and Stroke Foundation of South Africa. It’s on record that seventy percent of women over the age of thirty-five and fifty-nine are overweight. And for a moment I thought to myself ‘that’s not me!’ up until it was revealed that anyone over the age of fifteen in South Africa was likely to suffer hypertension and be classified ‘obese’. 

And there I was in my chair thinking: ‘That’s me’.  Having my beloved send me a lovely message earlier what a beautiful maiden I am, only to add that I had a few extra pounds begging to be shred, didn’t make the situation any rosier… Being the pleasant human being I am, I agreed to his much disturbing plea: ‘To go on a healthy eating plan’. 

I’d never felt so motivated, I actually started eating healthy foods pretty much most of this week. That was until someone I had never seen for the last two years had to comment on my weight! He went ahead and told me how big I was, I froze.  Of cause I was intrinsically cursing and calling him all sorts of names! Like seriously Mr. I haven’t seen you in seven hundred and thirty days and you have the nerve to tell me ‘I’M FAT’. Please …Grow some height!
Whether be a Minister, a lover or ‘Casper’. Men, ‘NEVER COMMENT ON A GIRL’S WEIGHT’. Period!

No comments:

Post a Comment